Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring -- A Time for new ideas


The weather here in Florida has been lovely the past few weeks. Sunny. Breezy. Comfortable temps.

I feel very much like the February ground hog who poked his head out of his hole to see if he should come out or go burrow for six more weeks.

Well, I burrowed.

But now I'm taking walks by the lake and taking drives by the ocean and sitting on benches in parks...and I'm doing what I love to do...dreaming.

I am trying to conjure up an idea for book proposal five. So I watch people...and birds...and dogs...and traffic. I stare at lakes and waves and tree tops. And I keep hoping that I'll breathe in something new, something that will excite my readers, something fresh that will excite me enough to want to sit for hours at a keyboard.

And just like that...

For no rhyme or reason...

I've got it. The precious seed of an idea. A thought that makes me ask the inevitable what if questions. What if this happened? Who would it happen to? Would they know they're in danger? Who would they turn to for help??

This time I'm going to visit Amish country. I've already started researching the life of people I have come to highly respect.

So I'm going to sit under a tree for just a little while today...and feel the breeze on my face...and the gentle warmth of the sun...and I'm going to finish this research book called Amish Grace: How Forgiveness Transcended Tragedy which I LOVE and highly recommend to all.

And then I'm going to daydream. I am going to think about possible answers to the questions that started the ball rolling.

Whoever thought daydreams could count as working??

Thank you, Lord, for dreams.

5 comments:

  1. Great blog, Diane, and congrats on the seed of an idea! Nothing better to plant in springtime. You will do an AWESOME job with an Amish-set book. Quit dreaming and get proposing!!!

    Rocki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Diane! I'll echo what Rocki said--Great blog! Can't wait to read your Amish book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Diane! Nice blog...I, too, am loving the weather here in Florida! Sitting in sunshine, standing in a shower, walking all are places I find my mind wandering and plotting! Good luck with your Amish story!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog! I have some of those same dreams, Diane. But I'm still waiting for mine to come true. I love how you take time out to let your story reveal itself to you. My best ideas seem to come to me when I'm driving or riding in the car. I've found a friend in my iphone recorder function because when I can't write an idea down I can at least record it. I'm looking forward to your Amish story! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete